Tuesday 26 August 2014

Organic: Yes or No?

I remember I used to have a student who only eats organic foodstuffs at home. Once, when we were having lunch together at a food court, she told me that she's not used to the taste of non-organic vegetables outside. Do they really taste different or is it just her imagination?

I grew up eating non-organic food myself but decided to feed BB with some organic produce. The reason behind my decision is that as the world becomes more profit-oriented, companies resort to more harmful & stronger pesticides to maximise their yields &, in turn, their profits. Having said that, I don't give organic stuffs exclusively as I believe that the health benefits of a balanced diet far outweighs the risk of exposure to pesticides. I don't want my boy to grow up not eating outside food just because they're non-organic. How is he going to survive his army days in time to come if he becomes so picky?

Therefore, how do I go about selecting organic or non-organic fruits & vegetables then? The answer is simple. Every year, the EWG publishes the Clean Fifteen & Dirty Dozen (12+2) lists of fruits & vegetables that contain the least & most pesticides respectively.. For those that fall under the Dirty Dozen list, I'll buy the organic version. Other than these 14 food, I'll also buy organic ones for staples or food that we tend to consume them in large quantities. In addition, I also purchase the organic versions for blueberries, lettuce & summer squash / zucchini as they were in the Dirty Dozen List 2013 & continue to rank high on the amount of pesticides they are tainted with. Last but not least, if I come across relatively cheap organic food, I'll buy them too.

The Dirty Dozen List 2013/14:

Apples
Celery
Cherry Tomatoes
Collard Greens / Kale
Cucumber
Grapes
Hot peppers
Nectarines
Peaches
Potatoes
Snap Peas
Spinach
Strawberries
Sweet Bell Peppers
Blueberries (2013)
Lettuce (2013)
Summer Squash / Zucchini (2013)

The Clean Fifteen List 2013/14:

Asparagus
Avocados
Sweet Corn
Cabbage
Cantaloupe
Eggplant
Kiwi
Grapefruit
Papayas
Mangoes
Pineapples
Cauliflower
Onions
Sweet peas (frozen)
Sweet potatoes
Mushrooms (2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment