I remember one of the fave dishes which I liked to cook when we first moved in to our place was baked rice & pasta. However, it has never reappeared from my kitchen since then. Oh ya! The reason being that I had a bad encounter which kind of discouraged me from preparing it again. Due to wear & tear, my oven glove 'gave way'. As I was removing a casserole from my oven, I felt a sudden sharp stinging pain. The 'thinned' glove wasn't protecting me from the scalding hot casserole. Instanteously, my fingers succuumbed to the heat & I dropped it, only missing the oven door by inches. There it was, our dinner & my fave casserole shattered, on the floor. Somehow, from then on, I stopped making them. Today's the day to conquer my phobia & I am glad I did.
Ingredients (serve 1 toddler + 1 adult):
100g of organic beef
100g of organic pumpkin, diced into big chunks
3 small purple onions
1 clove of garlic
3 stalks of thick asparagus, sliced
100g of organic pasta
1 tbsp of shredded organic cheddar cheese (exclude toppings for the pasta)
1 tbsp of shredded Parmesan cheese (exclude toppings for the pasta)
1. Cook pasta in a pot of simmering water till just tender. Drain & leave aside.
2. Steam all the remaining ingredients, excluding the asparagus & cheeses, for 15 minutes (I'm using my Avent Combined Steamer & Blender).
3. Preheat oven to 200°C.
5. Pour over cooked pasta, add in the asparagus & mix well.
6. Transfer to ramekins then top generously with more of both cheeses (ratio of cheddar to parmesan is 1:4 as cheddar tends to be saltier).
7. Bake for 15 minutes or until top is golden. Scoop out & serve warm.
There's always a fail-proof way of knowing if my boy likes a particular dish - he'll ask for it the moment he has swallowed the previous mouthful. &, this beyond any doubt was one that he certainly enjoys..lolz! The sweet pumpkin sauce & the roasty fragrance from both the dual salty cheeses complemented each other well. Given a choice, I would have used mozzarella instead of cheddar but since it was an impromptu decision & I only had these 2 cheeses in my freezer, I just had to make do with them. Mmmm, imagine the cheese oozing in every mouthful...oooooh, NICE! Well, the mission during my next trip to the supermarket will definitely be to search for a healthy mozzarella ~.^
Garlic + Onion = Detoxification & anti-cancer effects