Friday 3 October 2014

Steamed Sugarless Bananas with Organic Raisins Mini Cupcakes

As it was Children's Day yesterday, I decided to give BB a lil' treat and so I did steamed cupcakes for him again. I added his favourite bananas & used my mini cupcakes liners instead as I realised that the colours actually run from the bigger ones which I used previously (had to remove all the "coloured" portions before feeding BB).


In addition, I'm trying out Sunview's green organic raisins which I just purchased from the Four Seasons Organic Market Booth at the Baby Market Expo Fair ($5/per tin instead of the usual price at $7.80).


Ingredients (makes 16 mini cupcakes):

1 cup of organic unbleached flour
2 tsp of baking powder
1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil (EVCO)
4 tbsp of fresh milk (can substitute with breastmilk or formula milk)
4 tbsp of mashed banana (1.5 medium-sized bananas)
4 tbsp of Sunview green organic raisins
16 pieces of mini cupcake liners (Note: to prevent 'contamination' from the running colours caused by the liners, it may be better to buy plain white ones)

Directions: 

1. Place a pot / wok of water on the stove to boil.

2. While waiting for the water to boil, mix & sieve the dry ingredients, except raisins into a big bowl.

3. Combine the wet ingredients, pour into the big bowl, then mix well.

4. Add the raisins & mix into the batter.

5. Scoop 3 tsps of batter into each cupcake liner.

6. Ensure the water is boiling "vigorously" before putting the cupcakes onto your steamer stand. Steam for 6 minutes under high heat & do not open the lid during the steaming process. Remove when ready & serve warm.

I used my wok for the steaming as my mini muffins tray couldn't fit into my pot. This time round, I didn't cover the cupcakes with a kitchen towel as its lid is too big. Thankfully, the cupcakes turned out fine too. I let BB self-feed himself as I did the second batch (remaining 4 cupcakes as my tray has only 12 holes). He ate four & actually asked for more but I didn't give in to his request as I did not want him to gorge himself silly..lolz! The main difference between the big & small cupcakes is that the small ones actually stick to the liners. I suspect it's due to the addition of bananas. Despite that, I prefer the smaller ones as I think they look really cute so I'll be sticking to them for now (~.<) 

As for the raisins, I find that some of the Sunview's ones are pretty big as compared to Pureharvest. Furthermore, the raisins are not as sweet too. Thus, I'll choose Sunview over Pureharvest as I do not want to feed BB food that is too sweet in case he rejects blander food in the future.

9 comments:

  1. The raisins look huge and the cupcakes look really yummy!

    Vivien ( Beautiful Chaos )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought of steamed cakes as chinese style cakes that people use for prayers - not my favourite thing to eat! Good idea for using ingredients that sound a lot more palatable than those plain ol' "fa-gao".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wa! This looks really good leh, my kids love bananas and raisins so maybe I can give this a go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy!!! Looks really good and am hungry now! Shall give this a try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good and easy to make. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried steaming cupcakes before. What sort of steamer did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the recipe and tried myself steaming milo cupcakes sometime back.

    Pooja (Mums&Babies)
    http://themumsandbabies.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a yummy recipe!! I too love munching on organic raisins.

    ReplyDelete