Thursday 30 October 2014

B-L-D on 30th October 2014

B-reakfast: 

Cottage cheese topped with Cheerios & organic raisins


L-uncheon: 

The following were cooked simultaneously in my Tecno 3-Tiers Electric Steamer & shared between the 2 of us.

Organic ten multi-grains (Simple Natural brand found at most Cold Storage outlets) with red dates

5 tbsps soaked overnight in 100ml of water. Add some chopped red dates on top of the rice & steam for 35 minutes.

Steamed organic tofu with minced free-range pork, broccoli, organic zucchini & wolfberries

Marinate pork with some sesame oil, mix in the chopped zucchini & spread evenly on top of the tofu. Top with some wolfberries & steam for 10 minutes. Add the broccoli & steam for another 5 minutes.


A simple dish with lots of nutritional value! A pity the pork's texture is a bit on the tough side. I'm probably too used to my mum's smoother pork marinated with corn starch. With so many genetically-modified corn products in the market, I guess I'll have to start my search for the organic version. Hopefully, I can lay my hands on one soon.

Steamed 'mo pei yu' (pronounced in Cantonese) with shiitake mushrooms

Drrizle some extra virgin olive oil over the fish & top with sliced mushrooms. Steam for 15 minutes (10 minutes is usually enough but due to the recent incident of the enmasse deaths of fishes at the local kelongs, I was advised to cook the fish more thoroughly and so I increased the duration of the steaming).


D-inner: 

Organic pasta in yellow onion, organic pumpkin & baby spinach sauce with salmon

Cook pasta till al dente. Steam salmon, cubed pumpkins & halved onion for 10 minutes then add spinach & steam for another 5 minutes. Remove salmon before blending (I'm using my Avent Combined Steamer & Blender) the remaining ingredients. Pour sauce over the cooked pasta, top with salmon & serve immediately.


6 comments:

  1. Hi

    May I know where did you buy cheerios? Is it something like those coco crunch cereal? Can it be eaten everyday for breakfast? I am looking for something easy to prepare besides offering outside bread to my 20mth old son.

    How about the brand for cottage cheese & raisins? So beside cottage cheese, I can add plain yoghurt mixed with cheerios?


    How about the organic Dutch Cream potatoes? I cannot find in normal NTUC or cold storage

    Just wondering where you bought most of your food. As it looks fresh from the pic shown

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually find them in the organic section of larger NTUCs. Yes, it's a type of breakfast cereals but a healthier version. Even though it's a healthy snack, I wouldn't recommend giving it every day as I believe in moderation for everything. You can consider giving just fruits like avocado with banana, rolled oats porridge with fruits, fruits with cottage cheese or yogurt, eggs (hard boiled, scrambled, sunny side up, omelette, steamed) etc

      Delete
    2. So far, I can only find the cottage cheese at the Bedok Mall NTUC. As for the raisins, you shld be able to find them at the snacks section with nuts in NTUCs too. Alternatively, you can also find the raisins at the Four Seasons Organic Market at Great World City or Parkway Parade. Yes, you can add the cheerios to plain yogurt. However, as plain yogurt is very sour, you may want to add some fruits or honey to make it more palatable for your boy.

      Delete
    3. It was a chance encounter for the Dutch cream potatoes. I bought them from the Cold Storage at Changi City Point so you can try your luck there if you're in the vicinity ;)

      Delete
    4. I do the bulk of my groceries at UE Bizhub East's FairPrice Xtra. Sometimes, I'll shop at the FairPrice Finest at Bedok Mall, especially when I need to restock organic beef or corn fed chicken. You can also check out some other recommendations of where to buy better quality meats under the 'Organic' label on my blog. Another of my favourite is the Cold Storage at Parkway Parade as I can find rarer vegetables like purple carrots as well as organic kale & potatoes. It has also become a habit for me to check out the supermarkets as a last stop whenever we're out..hee ~.^

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    So sorrie for the late reply! I'll reply your qns in a few replies as this tends to hang on me many a times :/

    ReplyDelete