Special request of pappardelle from Daddy-O after we watched MasterChef Junior Season 3. So, I whipped up a mushroom carbonara with the leftover parmesan cheese from our X'mas dinner. It has been more than 10 years since I last did this sauce so l was keeping my fingers crossed that it would turn out alright.
Ingredients (serve 2 adults + 1 toddler):
1 pack of 250g of pappardelle
160g of fresh emperor shiitake mushrooms (bought directly from Mycofarm), sliced
1 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp of dried basil
A dash of freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Bring water to boil for pasta. Add cheese (reserve some as toppings for later) to eggs, mix well & put aside.
2. Heat up some EVOO in a pan & add garlic. When it starts to brown, pour in the mushrooms, black pepper & basil then saute till soft. Throw the pasta in the water to cook simultaneously.
3. As soon as pasta is ready, drain & reserve 1/2 to 3/4 cup of pasta water. Immediately add the pasta to the pan, toss with the mushrooms to coat & remove from heat.
4. Pour the cheese & egg mixture over the pasta & immediately stir evenly (pasta must be hot enough in order for the eggs to be cooked). Add some pasta water to make it creamier.
5. Top with more cheese & serve immediately for the adults' portion. As for the portion for BB, I put it back onto the stove to cook for a while more to ensure the eggs are thoroughly cooked.
The taste is good although we found it a tad too dry, as it had probably dried up slightly after my phototaking session..lolz! Anyway, I'll definitely increase the amount of the cheese & egg mixture as well as add in more of the pasta water in future.