Tuesday 6 January 2015

Homemade Honey Blueberry Jam Another Style

I used to make blueberry sauce for waffles or pancakes but since I had a loaf of failed brioche (texture resembled more of normal bread) on my tabletop, I needed jam so I tweaked my precious recipe to present you this.

Ingredients:

1 cup of fresh organic blueberries
1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
1/2 tbsp of lemon zest (about 1/2 a lemon)
1/2 to 1 tsp of Origins Organic Raw Honey, to taste (please omit honey if your lil' one is less than 1yo)
1/4 tsp of pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp of Bob's Red Mill All Natural Cornstarch (optional)


Directions:

1. Pour the blueberries into a pot & mash them up depending on whether you prefer your jam to be smooth or slightly chunky.


2. Add everything in, except corn starch, then mix well.


3. Bring mixture to a boil & simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring regularly. You may add corn starch for it to thicken faster or just cook till it reduces to your desired consistency.


Ta-dah! Your homemade jam is done in just 15 minutes & you know exactly what went into it \(~.<)/


Other than the jam sandwich, I also gave him some cottage cheese & organic raisins. 


As expected, he targeted the raisins, one of his fave regular healthy snacks, first. Then, he explored the sandwich & I knew without a doubt that my lil' bread lover will enjoy it. It's not difficult to see from the following collage that it is fingerlicking good too..lolz! The cheese was the last item left but it did not take him long to empty his plate when I handed him a spoon. In fact, it was the first sign that he's almost ready to spoon feed himself =)


Last but not least, I'm so loving my Munchkin's Silly Sandwich Cutters! They come in 3 different designs & yes, I've succumbed to temptation & bought all 3..hee ; ) The elephant & penguin ones will enable me to make simple food art in no time & BB can entertain himself while doing his puzzle sandwiches ~.^





Beneficial Combination:

Honey + Lemon = Detoxification & treatment of common flu

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Celine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Celine

    May I know what brand of bread you intro to your son?
    And where can I buy Bob's Red Mill All Natural Cornstarch? Sounds great as it is non-GMO.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yuna,

      I'm feeding my boy homemade bread using my Tesco breadmaker. It's a worthy investment so you may want to consider getting one. I just saw Mayer breadmaker selling at a promotional price of $80+ instead of the usual price of $188 at ToTT so maybe you'll like to check it out as it's a pretty good deal ~.^

      Delete
    2. In addition. I bought the cornstarch at Parkway Parade's Cold Storage, under the baking section with all the different types of flour. You can try searching for it at any Cold Storage outlets nearer to you :)

      Delete
  3. I've never seen a more adorable honey blueberry jam! It must’ve tasted really good, seeing as how your little one went at it. And adding cornstarch to make it a bit thicker was a nice touch. But I think the best part is that you can prepare this jam in such a short time. This is exactly why more and more people try to be more adventurous in the kitchen. We wouldn't want our loved ones to eat food that we don't know the ingredients of. I hope to read more great tasting recipes from you!



    Faith Thomas @ TheBerryFarm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Faith,

    Thank you very much for your kind compliment! It was indeed a joy to watch him gobbled it up :) As my mum has been using cornstarch to thicken sauces, I thought it wld help to speed things up especially when you've a hungry toddler..lolz! I totally agree that home-cooked food is always the best (~.^) More recipes are coming up after my long break so please stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete