Monday 9 November 2015

Burgers with Homemade Beefy Patties & Portobello Mushrooms with Buttered Peas

This meal turned out totally differently from what I had planned initially..lolz! I chanced upon organic miso the day before so I bought some & had wanted to cook a soba in miso soup. However, I saw the bread buns that we had purchased supposedly for breakfast which I'd almost completely forgotten about. As usual, my lil' bread lover got so excited upon overhearing me muttered the word 'bread'. Thus, with the new turn of events, I asked if he wanted a burger to which few kids would be able to resist that temptation, right?

Ingredients (supposedly for 1 toddler but my boy couldn't finish so I ate 1 too):

50g of organic minced beef
1 tsp of sesame oil
1 tsp of Bob's Red Mill All Natural Cornstarch
1 egg, white separated
A dash of basil
A dash of oregano
2 big portobello mushrooms 
1 tsp of organic VCO
2 tbsps of freshly grated organic cheddar cheese
2 big handfuls of Watties frozen garden peas
2 tbsps of water
1 tsp of unsalted butter
2 burger buns (I used the sesame loaf from Green Pumpkin Japanese Bakery at Nex)

Directions:

1. Marinate beef with sesame oil, cornstarch, egg white, basil & oregano for at least 15 minutes.

2. Preheat oven under Grill setting, max temperature (260°C) for 5 minutes.

3. Drizzle the underside of the mushrooms with the VCO & grill for 5 minutes. 

4. Half the beef & use a spoon to form 2 circular patties. Grill for around 10 minutes till they turn slightly brown on the surface.


5. Cut the buns into half, without seperating them. Lightly beat the egg yolk & spread it over the insides of the buns & grill for 2-3 minutes till the egg is cooked & bread lightly toasted.

6. Top the mushrooms with 1 tbsp of cheddar cheese each & bake for another 10 minutes.


7. Add 2 tbsps of water to the peas then also grill for 2-3 minutes till softened & cooked. Drain the water then melt the butter over the hot peas & mix well.

8. Assemble the burger by putting the beef patty on the bun then cap on the mushroom with cheese. Lastly, top with the bun & serve warm with the buttered peas.


I couldn't help but mention the most hilarious thing that happened while I was prepping lunch. My boy was so elated & grateful for his upcoming meal that he repeatedly thanked me for it..hahaha!! His impromptu luncheon turned out yummilicious!!! I remembered my first attempt at homemade patties weren't quite as successful as I found them too dense with oats added. Yet, this time round, I didn't even have time to do any research & simply jumped right into the preparations with just my gut feel. I was still kinda worried initially as i had pre-marinated the beef with sesame oil which is more commonly used for Chinese cuisines. To my surprise, the patty was quite tender with a faint fragrance from the herbs plus the juice from the portobello mushrooms complemented it nicely. Furthermore, the crispy toasted bread had a slight sweetness to it so all the flavours just seemed to come together in a perfect symphony in my mouth. No wonder BB devoured his in no time at all..lolz! I'm so going to replicate this again for my other 'boy' soon ~.<

11 comments:

  1. Hi Celine

    May I know where did you bought Bob's Red Mill All Natural Cornstarch?

    I went to several cold storage, no luck of getting it.

    Thanks 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Yuna!

    I bought mine from the Cold Storage at Parkway Parade :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My homemade burger patties always fall sort when I cook them in the pan. Is there a secret to making it gel better???

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks simple enough to try out at home, and the tiny buns seem to be a great size for the kiddos!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy Yummy Celine! Loved the last photo with your son eating the burger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo yummy! I love grilled cheese with mushrooms but I'm certainly too lazy to make my own meat patties hahaha

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  7. This must be yummy. I love mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so gooood! Passing this recipe to my hubby, hope I'll get some yummy burger soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this recipe! Will be in my list for my girls' lunch menu. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! So yummy! And looking at yr little boy eating it just stirred up my appetite!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yummy! My bubba loves burgers, will try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete