Ingredients for meat sauce:
100g of minced pork collar
1 tsp of minced garlic
3 medium tomatoes, mashed (I only used one but it turned out a tad too dry as no tomato purée was used for BB's portion)
1 tbsp of diced capsicum
2 tbsps of diced celery
2 tbsps of diced yellow onion
4 tbsps of shredded carrot
10 to 12 basil leaves
1 sprig of rosemary
1 piece of bay leaf
1/8 tsp of McCormick Italian seasoning (optional or you can add a dash in if you've any of the following dried herbs: marjoram, thyme, rosemary, savoury, sage, oregano & basil)
2 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
100ml of water (can substitute with 1 can of tomato purée if it's for adults as shown in the bottom picture below)
1. Stir fry garlic, onion & celery in EVOO for 5 minutes. Add in remaining ingredients & simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes (1 hour for adults' version) till all are softened.
Ingredients for white cream sauce:
3/4 cup of milk
1 small piece of bay leaf
3/4 cinnamon stick
3 black peppers
15g unsalted butter
2 tbsps of plain flour
1/4 cup of cheddar cheese
A dash of freshly grounded pepper
1. Bring milk to boil then remove from fire. Put bay leaf, cinnamon stick, clove & black pepper in a coffee bag then add into the milk to infuse (optional if you're cooking just a single BB portion).
2. Melt butter over a small fire then sieve in the flour & whisk well.
3. Next, remove the pan from fire. Add in 1/4 cup of milk each time & whisk till smooth.
4. Put pan over fire again & bring to boil.
5. Lastly, turn off the fire, add in the cheddar cheese & pepper then mix well.
Additional ingredients for construction:
5 lasagne sheets
1 tsp of EVOO
1 tbsp of Parmesan cheese
2 tbsps of cheddar
2 tbsps of mozzarella
2 tbsps of thickened cream
1. Oil the bottom & sides of the aluminium tray then line it with half the lasagne sheets, ensuring some space between them as they'll expand during baking.
2. Top with half the meat sauce & some dollops of white cream sauce sparingly.
3. Add another layer of lasagne sheets & meat sauce.
4. Drizzle evenly with thickened cream followed by topping generously with cheddar, mozzarella & Parmesan cheeses.
5. Cover tightly with a piece of aluminium foil then bake for about 35 minutes.
6. Remove the aluminium foil to check that the lasagne sheets have softened & are cooked. Put it back into the oven for another 5 minutes or till the cheese has browned nicely.
This is heavenly <3 I'll definitely do it again but it's especially worth the effort if you are serving up a bigger portion. For a portion that would serve 2 adults & 1 toddler, please multiply all the ingredients by four. Bon appetit!
Celery + Tomato = Strengthen stomach & helps digestion as well as lower blood pressure & lipids
Garlic + Onion = Detoxification & anti-cancer effects
Garlic + Pork = Eliminate fatigue, improve attention & help enhance immunity
Pepper + Pork = Favourable for digestion & absorption of nutrients
Pork + Tomato = For healthier stomach & digestion as well as invigorate spleen & replenish qi
Carrot + Onion = Easily lead to goiter (enlargement of thyroid)