This simple recipe was passed down to me from my MIL when I was pregnant & guess what . . . the entire preparation only takes 15 minutes!
300g of organic fresh beef (bought from the Culina counter in Bedok Mall FairPrice Finest), can be substituted by pork3 cups of water
2 cups of organic short grain brown rice, washed & soaked with water for > 7 hours
3 small carrots, diced
3 kampong eggs, beaten
1 spear of broccoli, chopped into smaller stalks with florets
2 tbsp of sesame oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp of unsalted butter
1. Marinate the beef with sesame oil & a generous amount of pepper (I did this 4 hours beforehand).
2. Place the soaked rice together with the water into the rice cooker & cook as per instructed in the manual. Halfway through the designated cooking time, add in beef & carrots and mix together with the rice.
3. Lay the broccoli on a plate & put it in your rice cooker's steam tray to steam for 5 to 8 minutes, depending on how you like it to be done. Remove the cooked broccoli, add the butter to melt over it & mix well.
4. Add in the eggs just before the water dries up & mix it into the rice. Wait for rice to be cooked & serve immediately once it's ready and at it's best.
To counteract the harmful effects of the recent haze, I also prepared green bean soup as dessert for the 3 of us. Green beans help to reduce heatiness & clear our respiratory system.
1.5 litres of water
1/2 cup of green beans, soaked with water for > 7 hours
1. Bring the beans in water to a boil then reduce the fire to a simmer, stirring occasionally. You can tell if they're ready when the beans start to open up. Do not cook them for too long lest they become mushy and lose their cooling properties. Serve warm.